Tomorrow will be 5 weeks since the shoulder surgery. Crazy!

It turns out I had a partial rotator cuff repair in addition to the repair of the labrum. I had a frozen shoulder when I had surgery, too – which is a thing I had previously never even heard about.

It’s all sort of a blur. I feel like my brain is fully functioning as of about 4 days ago.

I spent nearly a week in a recliner in my basement watching tv day and night (though I barely recall what I watched). I had a decent enough setup and was so out of it that I didn’t mind sitting alone in the dark around the clock.

I didn’t emerge from the basement until the 2nd week – but I spent that week pretty solidly camped out on the couch. Moving around was pretty painful and I was just incredibly tired. Everything took a lot of effort.

Sleeping was difficult. Eating was difficult (because I had to use my left/non-dominant hand). EVERYTHING was difficult. I cried more those weeks than is probably reasonable, but frustration + exhaustion + pain + crazy-making pain meds = not so pleasant combo.

I was convinced I’d only need a week off work and would be back by the 2nd week.


I’ve had a couple of bad days here and there – especially during the 3rd week when I returned to work. I was also pretty adamant that I was going to get back in my bed that week, though, which didn’t go well.

I showed up at PT one morning that week and cried and was kindly told to back off – so I did. I took some half days at work and went back to sleeping on the couch.

I slept in my bed for the first time since surgery this past weekend – though I still have to be somewhat propped up and am wearing the big sling – so it’s uncomfortable. This is the first week I’ve worked full days, too, though. So – progress!

My scar looks … not so bad. Comparatively.

The crazy swelling, redness, and bruising have gone away, anyway.

I thought I’d have the energy to write more about it, but I just don’t. It sucks. Avoid it at all cost. If you can’t, watch YouTube videos and be sure to buy the ice machine.

In other news: Jon is 50!

We celebrated his birthday last week.

(2016, 2017, 2018)

This little guy is FOUR.

Henry is still hanging in there. He’s mostly blind and deaf – and has congestive heart failure (plus diabetes) – but, as always, he has adapted super well.

We’re still working on the cabin, though I haven’t been out there since the day before the surgery. We’re almost done, though. We have a mailbox!

I haven’t exercised in a couple of months. Like, at all. I’ve barely walked around my house in weeks. I signed up for a nutrition coach (macros), though, on a panic whim and I’m actually really liking it. I’m on week 8 (yes, I did this through the surgery drama because I’m crazy, though I took a solid week and a half off) – but I’m down 10 pounds.

I gained 35ish pounds (from about 2014 -2016) from my lowest and hovered there for a couple of years, so this is the lowest weight I’ve been in a while. Something just seems to have clicked. Right place, right time, I guess.