Sooo … I’m a day away from completing another Whole 30. I don’t know what has happened this time, but I feel fine. Completely unaffected. It’s not emotionally challenging, anyway – as in the past. I could keep doing this indefinitely, I think. (Not that I will …)

I had a headache for the first week or so, but now I feel great. In fact, I totally recognize the shift in how I feel.

The mid-afternoon blood sugar crashes and complete exhaustion I’d come home with after inevitably having some sort of sugary snack? GONE. This is huge.

Also gone? Ravenous hunger. I’m rarely hungry.

One interesting thing I’ve noted: I only crave sugar after late-day meals. It seems as if I start to think about sugar every.single.time I eat dinner (and sometimes after a late lunch). Only after I’ve eaten, though. It’s sort of strange that it’s so prominent and so predictable. I don’t know what’s going on.

I really feel great, though.

I’m going to keep on with it, but add dairy. I miss butter. I also have a box of chocolates that were given to me as a gift the night before I started this – so I’m going to get those out. I’ve been thinking about them all month as the sugar cravings would hit. Otherwise, I’m going to keep on keeping on.

It’s been so easy this time around. Weird.

I think being able to have potatoes this time has made a difference. Sounds crazy, but it’s true.

I’ve been weighing (despite Whole 30 advice not to) because of our weight loss challenge. Right now, I’ve lost 8.8 pounds and Jon has lost 14.8. I’m going to weigh on Tuesday for an “official” weight loss amount to close out the 30 days – but I’m sure it will be close to today’s weight.

3 of us (couples) have lost 63.5 pounds as of this morning (haven’t heard from the 4th couple yet)!!

That seems crazy. 63.5 pounds!

We’re all doing the Whole 30 – the 2 other couples for the first time – so it seems like it’s definitely been a good thing.

I have a few pics of the things we’ve been eating:

Jon made this breakfast one day: sauteed kale, leftover crockpot pork, eggs.

Last weekend he made salmon cakes using a little almond flour.

We went out to dinner one night, so I had to make the best of it with a plain baked potato, mushrooms that had been sauteed in oil, and plain broccoli. I don’t like steak (which is what Jon had), so this was the best option. We’ve actually been to this place several times this month. One time I had a plain burger and another they had grilled shrimp for their special (not a regular menu item) – so I’ve been able to add some protein to these sides. Who knows about the oil, but I did the best I could.

Chicken burgers with guacamole.

Our version of fajitas: Jon marinated chicken and peppers and baked them (plus guacamole).


I made some applesauce in the crockpot.


Sunday prep.

I’ve been eating way too many potatoes.

Made some mayo several times to make tuna salad.

I’ve become addicted to these things that I lovingly call “crack water.” I typically don’t drink anything but water, coffee and unsweet tea, but I tried these for the first time this month and am now addicted to various flavors. I don’t know how I feel about the “natural flavors” – but they became my afternoon “treat” – so I’m thinking this is better than reese’s PB cups.


I had a meeting at Panera one afternoon and had to go straight from that to pick up MC. They had a pan of warm chocolate chip cookies straight from the oven, so I bought one to take to him. YES, I MIGHT BE CRAZY. SO tempting, but I didn’t even lick my fingers when I got chocolate on them when I broke the cookie in half. (He’s had a little disastrous haircut situation, hence the lack of bangs and crazy hair.)

I haven’t started exercising yet, but I downloaded (and paid for, which boosts motivation a little) an app – so I’m going to try to get up a little earlier this week and do some 20-30 min home workouts.

I will probably head back to the greenway once it’s light past 6PM.

We are allegedly set to close on the cabin on Tuesday. We’ve been under contract since early October, so we’ll see. There are major renovations to be done, but it’s a very rural community (there is literally ONE licensed contractor in the entire county) – so we needed to secure the ability to do everything before feeling comfortable about moving forward. Jon and I can’t, for example, do the well or install an HVAC system.

We’ve been going out there, but will be SO glad when it’s ours and we can start working on it.

We’ve had a drought, so we didn’t know that we have a really great stream right by the cabin. We saw the stream bed, of course, and a small stream (and the cabin was on a spring-fed water system) but had no idea that it would be LOUD and AWESOME until recently. It’s what realtors would list as “musical,” for sure.

We’re really excited about it. I can’t believe this place was just abandoned. We lucked out.